Residents affected by COVID-19 who need help with rent and utilities can get assistance from the Cumberland County Emergency Rental Assistance Program.
The program, administered by Cumberland County Housing Redevelopment Authority (CCHRA), has more than $16.6 million to distribute to eligible residents and households financially impacted by COVID-19. The Cumberland Board of County Commissioners contracted with the Cumberland County Housing Redevelopment Authority (CCHRA) to distribute emergency rental assistance funds received from the federal government.
“We want to make sure we can assist as many residents with the funding,” said CCHRA Executive Director Mary Kuna. “This funding can be used for rent and utilities to help residents financially impacted by COVID get back on their feet.”
Residents, who are eligible, must live in Cumberland County and include a renter household in which at least one or more individuals meets the following criteria:
- Qualifies for unemployment or has experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19.
- Demonstrates a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability.
- Applicants must have a household income at or below 80% of the area median income level.
- Priority is given to applicants that are below 50% of the area median income.
- Program recipients may not receive rental assistance from other sources to cover the same expense.
- Renter households may apply for rent and/or utility assistance (arrears, current and future) for up to 12 months.
- Renter households may seek assistance for any arrears beginning March 2020.
- Utilities are limited to electricity, gas, fuel oil, water and sewer and trash removal. (Telephone, cable and internet are not considered to be utilities).
All payments will be made directly to the landlord or utility company. Households may return for additional assistance if they continue to have a need. To apply for the Emergency Rental Assistance program, visit the CCHRA website.